Share our Eco Dream
Ιn ESPERIA GROUP, we are fully aware of the fact that our activity in the Hospitality Sector is substantially and closely interrelated with the natural, social, economic and cultural environment within which we operate. Therefore, we, the Employees and Management staff of Esperia Group,
ARE COMMITTED TO:
- Adopting the present SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT POLICY, and disseminating it at all levels of our associates, customers, consumers, suppliers, contractors and external partners.
- Setting objectives and implementing action plans to achieve those objectives by attaining CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
- Making Business decisions by taking into consideration every potential impact of these decisions on the ENVIRONMENT.
Within the context of our Sustainable Management Policy:
1. WE MANAGE ENERGY EFFICIENTLY
- We take advantage of solar energy by installing solar thermal collectors on every available surface.
- We have replaced all old cooling-heating machinery items with equipment of new high energy efficiency technology.
- We produce hot water with heat recovery systems from wastewater coming from washing machines
- We have replaced all light fixtures with new low-consumption LED technology luminaries.
- We have replaced all old electrical appliances, such as TV sets and mini bars, with new low consumption technology systems (Energy Star).
- We have all rooms equipped with automatic energy-saving locks.
- We have automatic light switches (motion sensors/timers) installed wherever possible (gardens, public toilets)
- We do not waste energy for room air conditioning, as magnetic switches have been installed on all windows and balcony doors.
2. WE HAVE REDUCED WATER CONSUMPTION TO THE MINIMUM
- We have adjusted water consumption flow rate coming out through faucets, showers and toilet flushes to the minimum possible.
- We have our water supply network checked regularly for leaks.
- We give priority to planting endemic species with low water requirements in our gardens.
- We have automatic water switches installed wherever possible (e.g. at swimming pool showers)
- We have automated drip irrigation water systems installed in the gardens to minimize water consumption.
- We utilize new technology continuous tunnel washers that reduce water use to less than 10 lit/kg of clothing.
3. WE REDUCE, SORT OUT, RECYCLE WASTE
- We are constantly reducing the volume of packaging waste of supply materials, by using large and simple packages.
- We have drastically reduced disposable packaging and disposable serveware items (e.g. glasses, plates, cocktail decorative accessories at bars).
- In cooperation with our suppliers, we sort out and recycle:
- We collect organic waste separately from food residuals, such as oil after frying, and dispose them to licensed recycling firms.
- We collect all sorts of hazardous waste (e.g. lamps, batteries, mineral oils, electrical and electronic devices) and dispose them to licensed hazardous waste disposal firms.
4. WE MINIMIZE AIR POLLUTION
- We have replaced obsolete cooling machinery items with modern chillers and heat pumps that use environment-friendly refrigerants (freon).
- We use LPG and electricity as the main source of energy, gradually replacing gas oil.
5. WE PROMOTE RESPONSIBLE TOURISM IN THE REGION
- We aim at setting up a network of customers, suppliers, local communities, organizations and bodies, so as to promote Responsible Tourism.
- We actively support environmental organizations and bodies protecting the biodiversity of the island.
- We stay close to the local community listening carefully to their concerns and problems, doing our best to find solutions and meet their needs.
- We participate voluntarily and encourage our employees to participate themselves in collective efforts for the upgrading of the environment and quality of life (reforestations, beach cleaning etc).
- We participate in environmental education & awareness-raising programs for the protection of coastal ecosystems and beaches.
- We encourage people to use public transportation by raising the awareness of our customers and employees, by providing information about all available transportation means and itineraries, and by offering free bus transportation to and from the city of Rhodes.
- We offer our customers plenty of information material related to local history, culture, traditions and natural surroundings, and we encourage them to get to know them better.
- We consistently prompt our customers to embrace our Hotel Environmental Management Program by sorting out waste, saving energy and water, and participating in the towel and bedlinen reuse program during their hotel stay.
6. WE REDUCE THE ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT WITH ECO-FRIENDLY SUPPLIES
- It is our priority to cooperate with local producers and suppliers.
- We select eco-label and/or organic farming products, whenever possible.
7. WE MINIMIZE THE QUANTITY OF FOOD WASTE
- We participate in the food waste initiative, educate and raise the awareness of our staff and customers.
- We continually measure the food that is thrown away, and take corrective actions for minimizing food waste.
8. OUR EMPLOYEES ARE OUR CAPITAL ASSET
- We pursue and cultivate firm relationships of trust and cooperation with our staff; that is why we prefer to employ people who are permanent residents of the island.
- We encourage self-action and create a supportive family atmosphere, so that our employees feel at home when being at work.
- All terms of employment, tasks and duties corresponding to every working position, rules and regulations concerning working relations are given in written form and made known to everyone.
9. WE GET ACTIVATED FOR THE UPGRADING OF THE LOCAL SOCIETY
- We are actively involved in Associations, Organizations, Chambers related to Tourism, both at a local and national level.
- We support initiatives, events, sports-cultural unions, environmental organizations, for we want to be a vital component of our local society.
10. OUR PRIORITY IS HEALTH AND SAFETY AT THE WORKPLACE
- We constantly aim at improving working conditions with regard to the facilities, equipment and tools we provide.
- We provide all Personal Protective Equipment essentially required for every working position.
- We have Working Instructions given in written form and train our employees to comply with security measures.
- We regularly inspect the hotel premises and facilities, and take immediate corrective actions to reduce the likelihood of any accident that might occur to our staff and customers
11. WE CONDEMN ANY FORM OF CHILD EXPLOITATION
- We support teenagers who want to work. We guarantee that their working conditions are in compliance with the National and European legislation.
- We support, without any exception, the legislation in force for the prevention and punishment of children’s sexual exploitation and abuse.
- We collaborate closely with the relevant law enforcement authorities and immediately inform them should any suspicious action involving exploitation or any form of child abuse come to our notice.
- All hotel employees have the duty to report immediately to their Supervisor, and the Supervisor in turn to the Hotel Manager, any suspicious event that may come to their notice.
12. WE RESPECT HUMAN RIGHTS
- We do not accept any behavior or treatment of our hotel employees or customers indicating or implying discrimination based on age, disability, race, ethnic or national origins, gender, political beliefs, religion or sexual preference.
13. WE ARE IN STRICT COMPLIANCE WITH LEGISLATION
- We fully comply with the National and European legislation related to issues such as Environment, Occupational Safety & Health, Food Hygiene and others that fall within the range of our operation.
- Both our executives and external specialized associates keep us up to date on the new legislation that is always taken into account and implemented.
In order to achieve our goals and commitments, we ensure that all our employees and executives have undertaken specific duties, are trained and prompted to work continuously towards this direction.
Forest Ambassador Program
In collaboration with the Social Cooperative Enterprise "For Nature", Esperia Group has "adopted" 100 acres of the fire-affected forest in the area of Lardos-Gadoura with the commitment to remain a Forest Ambassador for 10 years.
The program ensures:
- The reforestation of the burned area by planting 30 new trees per year, protecting them from uncontrolled grazing and regular pruning, in accordance with the Forestry regulations.
- The care of native vegetation and its protection from uncontrolled grazing
- The constant cleaning of garbage and factors that can cause fires during high temperature weather conditions, in the defined area.
Our mission is to reforest the area, highlight its natural beauty, create fire zones to protect it, and design walking paths to bring guests and locals closer to the Southern Aegean flora and fauna.